Sunday, August 16, 2009

Apparently, I Love Predictability

I've decided to go with the repeat C-section. I think I like things predictable, and my fear of going through a long labor attempt only to end up with another section outweighs my desire to try for a VBAC. So. . .this little one will be born on October 20th. . .barring spontaneous labor, which is of course always possible. If that happens, they will do the surgery as soon as labor begins.

One of my holdups about choosing was the fact that GG was expressing a strong desire to be present at the birth. I was not sure if this was a good idea, but willing to explore the possibilities. To investigate her intentions further, we settled in a few weeks ago to watch an episode of "A Baby Story" on TLC. I figured if she could handle that, we would talk some more. As the mommy began to push and her face got red, GG informed me that she found that a little scary. Then when the camera zoomed to that blood covered little baby head in the doctor's hands (they blocked out the mommy's "woman parts"), GG covered her face with a blanket and started to yell, "EEEWWWW, Mommy, that's SO GROSS! Tell me when it's OVER!!" I knew at that point that she liked the idea of being in the room, not the reality. I asked her after the show if she still wanted to be in the room when her little sister comes out and she said, "No WAY! I'll stay with Gramma or something. You can call me in after she's had a BATH." I laughed a bit and then decided on the C-section.

My main concern was having enough help afterwards to take care of GG and the new baby all while on surgical restriction for 3 weeks, BUT my wonderful mother-in-law is coming to stay for a while, as is my step-mom after that, so it looks like we're covered. . .and who wouldn't welcome having someone else come in and do the cooking, cleaning and laundry for a while? Only a crazy person! I'm SO looking forward to meeting this little sweetie!

No comments:

Post a Comment