Sunday, March 8, 2009

Another Day, Another Adventure?

This morning, at about 4:30 a.m. (don't ask if it was old or new time, I don't know), I awoke with excruciating upper abdominal pain. I could not find a comfortable position. I could not take a deep breath. It seemed to be more in the middle of my upper abdomen and off to the right, all above the navel. I struggled for a few minutes before waking up hubby in a panic. The fact that the pain was so bad and I was struggling to breath properly was scaring me. After some discussion, we decided I should go to the ER for evaluation. We didn't want to wake GG (and I didn't want to call an ambulance) so I drove myself. It hurt so bad all the way there, I had to breath through the pain to stay focused on the road. The pain continued at that level for close to an hour. They got me into a room and took some blood. They offered me pain meds that they said were "safe" during pregnancy, but I was still scared so I declined. The doctor came in and reassured me that he did not think my pain was directly related to the pregnancy and that they would not do any testing or give any medication that would endanger the baby (with the disclaimer "unless it's life or death"). They sent me for an upper abdominal ultrasound.

The results? No one really knows. The ER doctor is convinced that I had biliary colic (gallbladder pain) despite the negative ultrasound. He said you can have pain there without stones or sludge and that pregnancy is a major cause of that pain. The tech tried a transabdominal to check the pregnancy but couldn't see anything from the outside, and wasn't authorized to do an internal probe. She said my uterus is tipped and she couldn't really even see inside, which at 7 weeks is not at all uncommon. Of course, I'm still worried and probably will be until we see if all is well on Wednesday at the doctor's office ultrasound. The ER doctor seemed quite confident in his diagnosis and said aside from pain management, there's not a lot they can do for gallbladder inflammation without stones, especially in first trimester pregnancy. I hope this is a one time thing.

After my ER adventure, I wasn't feeling nauseous this morning so I decided to stop and get something from Sonic for breakfast. I got a bacon, egg and cheese toaster sandwich with tater tots and a cherry limeade. I didn't want the bread or all the tater tots, but the rest of it was delicious. I didn't take my Zofran because I wasn't feeling sick. I laid down to take a nap shortly thereafter. Unfortunately, (or fortunately if nausea is a good sign) I woke up an hour or so later and had to rush to the bathroom. Suffice it to say that I won't be eating bacon for a while. I took my Zofran and went back to bed. I hope tomorrow is a little more boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment